Do you think only certain people need to be taking probiotics? Wrong, everyone should be taking probiotics and here’s why…
Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that your body needs. Probiotics are the good guys that keep your immune system and digestive system and really your overall health very strong.
People who are often recommended to take probiotics:
- ♦ Those who are taking antibiotics. Antibiotics are the antithesis of Probiotics. They are impartial to everyone and each pill is like swallowing a bomb that detonates all the good and bad bacteria. This helps the symptoms of illness disappear but is a nightmare for the body to build up all the new GOOD bacteria that it was accumulating over the years. Taking a high dose of probiotics are essential after being on antibiotics because it helps your system recover faster.
- ♦ Pregnant women. Women who are pregnant know they are eating for two. Supplementing with probiotics will send some of that good bacteria to the baby and help keep him/her strong and healthy for a positive birth and early life. It is also very important for the mother as probiotics improve overall health and immunity to sickness, she will be less likely to get sick and avoid a suppressed immune system.
- ♦ People bloat or have pain after meals. Probiotics will help your gut flora balance and control bloating after meals. Probiotics are made of one of multiple strains of bacteria. Those known to help with bloating are called Lactobacillus acidophilusRosell-52 or Lactobacillus casei Rosell-215.
- ♦ Suffering from constipation.People can get constipation for many reasons, 14% of adults in the USA. suffers from constipation. Of course increasing fiber content can help with regularity but did you know probiotics play a great role too? Probiotics soften stools, increase bowel movements and regularity. Specifically probiotics with the strain Bifidobacterium appear to be the most effective in treating constipation.
- ♦ People with eczema. Eczema is more than simply a skin problem. Having it is an indication that there is something wrong with your immune system. Newborns with eczema indicate an early weakened immune system and susceptible to allergies. Babies with eczema often develop hay fever or asthma. The good bacteria in your gut has been found to prevent allergies by helping the body detect and identify the pathogens from the antigens. Taking the probiotic Lactobacillus rhapsodic GG or Lactobacillus rhamnosus strain HN001 has been proven to cut the risk in half in developing exzema. Read the full study here.
How to decide which probiotic to take?
The most important difference amongst probiotics are species and dosage. Probiotics may have only one form of bacteria or several. It is important to determine which bacteria are most important to address your needs as mentioned above. Regardless, taking any type of probiotic will be better than taking none, don’t get too fixated on identifying the species that you don’t take the probiotic.
Secondly, it is important to figure out what dosage is right for you. Probiotics may contain one to 10 billion colony-forming units or CFUs. For regular use of probiotics it is recommended to take one to two million CFUs. If you are suffering from diarrhea or some sort of bacterial imbalance you may take the highest dosage but be sure to get this is one capsule rather than a 3 or 5 pills from a lower dosage probiotic.
Can’t I get probiotics from food?
The answer is yes! Remember, probiotics come in many forms, powders, liquids, capsules and in daily food items.
Fortified foods are rich in probiotics such as organic yogurt, Kefir, kambucha, tempeh, miso, sour cream or ferment vegetables to make sauerkraut, or other lacto-fermented vegetables. Fermented foods are easily accessible in health food stores and it is simple to create your own.
I recently recovered from an ear infection and a sinus infection and was on strong antibiotics for two weeks. Everything I ate gave me an upset stomach because the antibiotics killed all of my bacteria. After taking some strong antibiotics i’ve been able to feel much better and my stomach no longer gives me trouble when I eat my favourite foods.
I hope this article has been helpful to you and that you may see the benefits of taking probiotics on a daily basis.